Monday, October 21, 2013

Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa



       Mauna Kea Observatories

10-19
What a great day.
Started off with McDonald's breakfast. Haha!!! From there I spent some time cleaning some spilled almond milk off the floor of the rental car. Should be good. Then I drove out to the middle of the Big Island where I wanted to pull over and climb up every hill, but I kept going till I hit the road that goes up the back of the southern mountain, Mauna Kea. It was a little too rough for my rental car 4wd skills, so I passed the mountain and drove to the northern mountain, Mauna Loa. I drove up the visitor Center at 9000+ feet then got ready for a climb. The climb was amazing and I was ready for it. I knocked it out pretty fast and met some people on the way up. Ended up spending some good time chatting with a Dutchman that had a lot of good stuff to say. I know I knew his name but it was a toughy, so I'll pass on trying to spell it. The top was very cold...very, very cold and windy compared to the beaches of Hawaii! I kept moving and had a good look at all the observatories. (There's a paved road that goes to the top and also the 7 mile climb that I did.) On my way down I hit a warm, not windy, spot and passed out for an hour or so:) It looked like it was raining all around a couple thousand feet below. Apparently, it had just snowed two days ago. I got back to the parking lot and headed to the west coast for a great warm night with no rain.
Off to the high Kohala mountains tomorrow. This is northeast Hawaii and my favorite spot thus far. A last little bit of exploring those valleys and peaks.. Maybe even another McDonald's breakfast!!!
                Lake Waiau

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Lake_Waiau?o=2801&qsrc=999&ad=doubleDown&an=apn&ap=ask.com

No comments:

Post a Comment