Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bite me! I'm on the Big Island!





Oct 4-8th
Walked through Kona and saw all the Ironman people and normal Hawaiian tourists. Then at about 4pm, I was well out of town and found some picnic tables, so I settled down and had a glass of rum. The next day I walked to Captain Cook Point, then had a big climb to Cook Town where I ate and bought food and stuff. After pizza and beer, I walked down to the bay and got a ride the last half mile from a local who offered her kayak if I helped move something, so the next day I did some chores then had a kayak to myself in an amazing bay. I spent a bit of time on the kayak exploring. It started pouring, but it's not Hawaiian rain, so it was actually nice being out on the bay in the downpour. That night at her house, I got bit on my back by one of those red centipedes. It was a very sharp pain. She confirmed it's not deadly or anything, so I slept through it and had some bad dreams. One vivid one was of me on the losing end of a knife fight!!! Talk about a bad dream. The next day I did some early morning kayaking looking for the dolphins but couldn't find em. I said my thanks to Heather then took off to the beach for a nap where I set up early for the night. I wasn't feeling well. It might have had to do with that centipede bite. The tiredness carried over to the next day, so I stayed at the same spot and lounged around the beach sleeping and eating. Not a bad day. Kealakekua was a bay that was about 4 miles south of Captain Cook Bay. It's where the old Hawaiians used to send prisoners or something. Since the government is shut down, the National Park area that had all the info was closed. That also made me realize I might have to change plans since Volcano NP is a NP and might be closed. That was next on the plan too. So, I might have to skip it for now and go to Hilo. Hopefully it'll open up eventually, then I can come back later since I've decided I'm gonna rent a car for about a week later on in the trip since there's some stuff that is car necessary to see.

Aloha!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment